January 8th was my student teachers' first day of school. Kelly, my bestie and teaching partner, and I are sharing two students from the University of Toledo because we only teach one subject each and they need exposure to each subject. I only teach math and Kelly only teaches reading. We have a third partner who teaches science and social studies. Rachel and Shannon, our students, spent the first two weeks of their time observing in our two rooms to see how our classrooms are run. This week they took over, each teaching one subject for the first week. Rachel started with me and Shannon with Kelly. They will switch rooms every week so they get experience each subject. They are having to plan together since they may not be teaching an entire unit, but only one week of it.
I always thought I would never want a student teacher because what do I know? I wasn't sure I was good enough to be teaching someone else how to be a teacher. When my principal first approached me about this in the fall I was kind of nervous. What if I didn't teach them anything? What if they weren't good and then I have to have them in my room every day until May? But after thinking about it and talking about it with Kelly we decided that it would be a good idea. She was feeling the same as me and this is also her first experience with having a student teacher.
Let me just say it was a great choice! I love having their fresh ideas to discuss and it made me try to be my best at all times. And the biggest bonus is that now they are in charge! That means no planning, grading or teaching for me. This kind of all fell into place at a perfect time. I can focus on this pregnancy that we tried so hard for and I can just observe and relax most of the day! I still have some work to do but my workload decreased by about 90%!!! I can actually go home at night and enjoy my family without thinking about work! They will be here until the first week of May and they will only be out of the classroom one day (March 1st), where I need to teach. Our last day of school is May 23rd, which means I have exactly 15 school days that I am teaching for the rest of the year!!! Don't get me wrong, I do love my job but this is NICE!
1 comment:
Amazing how things fall into place, Isn't it? I'm a believer that things happen for a reason! Sure seems as if this happened for you!!
Post a Comment